Basics of 2D FX animation26.06.2020 2021-01-17 20:45
Basics of 2D FX animation
Basics of 2D FX animation
FX animation is a complex niche, but not independent. There are different directions, styles and implementation methods. In this course we will study the basics of stylized hand-drawn FX animation that can be used in game development and motion design.
You will learn:
- Animate fire, smoke, explosion and sparks, liquid, electricity animation
- Techniques for improving the skills of drawing FX-animation
- The principles of frame-by-frame FX animation
Who is this course for?
- For FX animators from gamedev who want to master frame-by-frame animation
- For motion designers who want to learn new skills
- For beginners who want to get acquainted with frame-by-frame FX-animation
About the course
The course lasts 8 weeks and consists of the following topics:
- Week 1. Principles of making 2D FX. Introduction to TVpaint(optional).
- Week 2. Techniques for improving FX animation drawing skills. Creating a loop.
- Week 3. Animating fire.
- Week 4. Animating smoke.
- Week 5. Animating sparks and explosions.
- Week 6. Animating fluids.
- Week 7. Animating electrical discharges.
- Week 8. Composing your work in After Effects and presenting it. Importing 2D FX into the Unity editor.
The course was prepared by the RTFX animation team, whose products are used by such famous companies as Nintendo, Viacom, Industrial Light & Magic, Platinum Games, and many others.
These basics can be applied in any area: from game animation to series or feature animation and motion design. We will show you how to integrate your 2D FX animations into the game, as well as how to use them in animation and motion design. Join us! It will be fun!
The course structure
- Once a week, new material opens on the site. You study it and do your homework
- Show the result in the chat and get comments from the instructor and other students. We review the homework showing you the mistakes and giving tips on how to avoid them. Examples:
What we need
- Graphics tablet. Without this thing, you simply will not be able to draw effectively.
- 2D animation software. In fact, it does not matter what frame-by-frame animation program you are working in, because the principles are the same everywhere. It might be ToomBoom Harmony, Animate, OpenToonz etc. However, in our case, TVpaint is included in the RTFX animation pipeline and all the material is explained in this program. If you have never heard of it, the first week of the course will give you the opportunity to learn what you need for further work.
- After Effects CC2017 (and newer versions), in which we will do composing and prepare the presentation. However, we don’t mind if you use any other compositing software.
- Account in Discord to get access to a private chat. You can chat, comment on other people’s works and post your own ones, get feedback from other participants there. To get access into the chat, go to https://discord.gg/UACvXZK (it will be active from the first day of the course) and write a message with the order number. We will inform you of the course start before 2 days via email.
What we are going to animate
In this course, you will learn how to animate simple elements:
Based on the principles outlined in the course, you can draw any animation with adequate complexity for your level. However, you also need to learn how to present it. A concise or detailed presentation will help attract the audience to your work.
Our students’ works:
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Week 1. Basics
Week 2. Improving skills
Week 3. Fire
Week 4. Smoke
Week 5. Explosion
Week 6. Liquid
Week 7. Electricity
Week 8. Presentation